The LMB hosts one week work experience placements in June-August for up to four students in Years 10-13. The LMB also participates in the Nuffield Research Placement scheme. If you are an undergraduate level student, you may be interested in our summer studentships.
LMB Work Experience Placements
Our exciting work experience placements allow you to find out more about working in science and give you the chance to experience the breadth of scientific and support activities which take place in a research institute like the LMB. Through our programme of work experience activities, you will get the opportunity to shadow a researcher and take part in bench work, learn about and help out with specialist techniques such as flow cytometry and NMR, and experience the work of science support teams such as media prep and glass wash.
We are now accepting applications for summer 2018 work experience placements.
We are looking for students in Years 10-13 who are enthusiastic, interested in and show a flare for the biological sciences. You should be keen to learn, enjoy meeting new people and being challenged. You should also have good attention to detail and the ability to follow instructions.
If you would like to apply, please send the following to email@example.com (please add this email address to your ‘safe senders’ list so our reply doesn’t end up in your junk box).
- CV (this should include a list of the subjects you are studying with predicted/obtained grades, and brief details of your extra-curricular activities, hobbies and any previous work experience).
- Statement explaining your reasons for applying to the LMB and the areas of LMB research that interest you or in which you are keen to gain experience. Your statement should be no longer than 400 words.
We are very interested to learn how you heard about the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology and the work experience opportunities we offer here. When submitting your application please tell us:
- How you first heard about the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology
- How you learned about our work experience opportunities
Your answers to these questions will not be used to judge your application.
We have two application deadlines (to account for differing school timetables):
- Up to two work experience placements will be allocated from applications received by Friday 5th January 2018. We will respond to applicants letting you know whether you have been successful or not by Friday 19th January. This deadline has now passed.
- Up to two further work experience placements will be allocated from applications received by Friday 23rd March 2018. We will respond to applicants letting you know whether you have been successful or not by Friday 30th March.
Nuffield Research Placements
Nuffield Research Placements give students in their first year of a post-16 science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) course the opportunity to work in leading STEM-focused industries, research institutes and UK Universities. Projects last 4-6 weeks during the summer holidays and involve working alongside practicing STEM professionals.
Students who don’t have a family history of going to university or who attend schools in less well-off areas are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applications for Nuffield Research Placements are administered regionally throughout the UK, and should not be sent directly to the LMB. Further details on how to apply for a Nuffield Research Placement can be found here.