As one of the Medical Research Council’s major research institutes, the LMB will be playing a key role in helping to celebrate the MRC’s Centenary this year.
The year-long MRC Centenary programme taking place across the UK and in Africa, will provide events and online activities for people of all ages and all levels of scientific knowledge. Together, these activities will celebrate and explain the MRC’s greatest achievements as well as illustrating some of the current projects that are likely to contribute to the UK’s continuing success as one of the world’s leading nations in medical research.
Highlights of the programme include:
- Medical Research Live – people around the UK (and worldwide) will be invited to become ‘citizen scientists’ by taking part in three live, online experiments.
Two of the three projects: The Great British Sleep Survey and The Great Egg Hunt are based on LMB research.
- The Millennium Medal Award – two outstanding MRC scientists will be awarded this prestigious biennial prize in a special ceremony taking place on 27 February at the House of Commons.
- MRC Open Week – from 20-26 June over 35 MRC units, centres and institutes across the UK will be opening their doors to the public or taking science out to the people.
Make a date to visit the LMB’s new building on 22 June.
- The MRC Centenary Timeline – building throughout the year this online timeline will highlight key medical discoveries with a national and global impact.
- The Official Opening of the new MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology building – taking place in late Spring, the opening of the LMB’s £211 million laboratory illustrates the MRC’s importance in delivering world-class medical research and in supporting the UK’s fast growing health care, pharmaceutical and biomedical industries.