LMB scientists regularly take part in science festivals, sharing our discoveries and providing opportunities for all to talk to researchers and learn more about LMB research and scientific careers.
In March every year, the Cambridge Festival, an interdisciplinary programme of events that has replaced the Cambridge Science Festival and Cambridge Festival of Ideas, gives the public the opportunity to explore the breadth of Cambridge research. LMB scientists get involved each year, giving talks about their research or running activities, such as crystal growing, showing how worms are used to study our brains, giving visitors the opportunity to see their own cells under a microscope, exploring the origin of life, and taking visitors on a virtual tour of the lab.
- 2021: Engaging online for the first Cambridge Festival
- 2019: LMB scientists present cells, proteins, and the origin of life at the Cambridge Science Festival
- 2018: LMB showcases the diversity of science at the Cambridge Science Festival
- 2017: Hundreds of children and adults enjoy the LMB’s ‘See Your Cells’ activity at the Cambridge Science Festival, LMB scientists creating fun and fascination at the Cambridge Science Festival
- 2016: LMB scientists talk at the Cambridge Science Festival
- 2015: Hands-on activities by LMB scientists at the Cambridge Science Festival
- 2014: Over 50 LMB scientists showcase research at the Cambridge Science Festival
- 2012: ‘See your cells!’ at Cambridge Science Festival
Cambridge Big Biology Day
Cambridge Big Biology Day is a one-day science festival, hosted by Hills Road Sixth Form College, which is open to all and celebrates the life sciences through hands-on activities, crafts and displays, bringing together a number of biological organisations under one roof.
- 2019: LMB researchers share their science in Cambridge, Ely and Peterborough – See Your Cells
- 2018: An engaging month for LMB researchers – Synthetic biology – create a new protein!
- 2017: Worms Are Cleverer Than You Think!
- 2016: Mighty Molecular Motors at the Big Biology Day
- 2015: Virus Wars – Antibodies Strike Back
Big Bang 2013
The Big Bang UK Young Scientists & Engineers Fair is the largest celebration of science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) for young people in the UK. In 2013 a team of LMB scientists took part in the event, showcasing some of the Virus Wars activities and resources that were being developed for the Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition later in the year.